Thenew note has a motif of Humpy with Chariot on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage. The base color of the note is fluorescent blue. The note has other designs, geometric patterns aligning with the overall color scheme, both at the obverse and reverse. A dimension of the banknote will be 66 mm x 135 mm. RBI had said in December last year that it would issue new currency notes of Rs 50 and Rs 20.
All the Rs 50 banknotes issued by RBI in the earlier series will continue to be legal tender.
The image and salient features of 50 denomination banknote in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series are as under:
3. Portrait of Mahatma Gandhi at the center.
4. Micro letters ‘RBI’, BHARAT in Devnagri, ‘INDIA’ and ’50’.
5. Windowed demetalised security thread with inscriptions ‘BHARAT’ in Devnagri and RBI.
6. Guarantee Clause, Governor’s signature with Promise Clause and RBI emblem towards the right of Mahatma Gandhi portrait.
7. Ashoka Pillar emblem on the right.
8. Mahatma Gandhi portrait and electrotype (50) watermarks.
9. Number panel with numerals growing from small to big on the top left side and bottom right side.