Google Tag Manager Account 6000404159, Google Tag Manager Container ID GTM-M3CM5WR

It is the time for Submit the Income Tax deduction Proof to Employer – With Automatic Tax Preparation Excel Based All in One TDS on Salary for Private Employees with Form 16 for F.Y.2015-16

It’s time of the year when everyone including your employer is worried about your taxes. Most people would have received mail from their Accounts department about “submission of proofs for investments done to claim income tax exemption”. In case you have not, it might be on its way.

This post helps you understand why It is the time for Submit the Income Tax deduction Proof to Employer – With Automatic Tax Preparation Excel Based All in One TDS on Salary with Form 16 for F.Y.2015-16

Salaried class needs to submit these proofs to their employers, how it should be done, what documents to be submitted and if there is a deadline?

Why Employers Ask for Tax Saving Investment Proofs?

Employers are responsible to deduct income tax (TDS – Tax deduction at source) from salary paid to its employees and deposit the same to income tax department. But income tax is complicated and the final tax depends on the tax saving investments a person makes or if the person lives on rent or if he has a house. So to compute your taxes correctly your employer asks for a declaration at the start of financial year (in April). The TDS is deducted based on this declaration.
As we approach the end of financial year, employer wants to make sure you did what you declared as it impacts the tax calculation. So it asks you to submit proofs for income tax saving investment that you made, rent receipts along with any other documents. Once the proof is submitted the employer computes tax based on the actual investments made and TDS is adjusted accordingly.

AlsoDownload Master of Form 16 Part B for F.Y.2015-16: [This Excel Utility Can prepare at a time 50 employees Form 16 Part B for FY 2015-16.]

When does Employer ask for Proofs?

There are no guidelines about when any employer should ask for investment proofs. Some companies start asking for the same in December but most of them would ask for it before end of January. This is asked so early on as the enhanced tax deduction can be done from 2-3 months’ salary. Also this awakes the lazy ones and they start their tax planning.

What if you do not Submit the Proofs?

In case you do not submit the proofs, employer would not be able to give you tax benefit on your tax saving investments. This would lead to higher deduction of taxes. You can claim refund of these taxes only during filing of tax returns.

Documents to be Submitted

Indian income tax laws are complicated and have multiple exemptions and investment options. Below is the list of documents that needs to be submitted to your employer to get relevant tax deductions.

Download All in One TDS on Salary for Private (Non-Govt) Employees for the Financial Year 2015-16 and Ass Year 2016-17 [ This Excel Based Software can prepare at a time Income Tax Compute Sheet + Automatic H.R.A. Exemption Calculation + Individual Salary Sheet + Individual Salary Structure for Central Govt Salary Pattern + Automatic Form 16 Part A&B + Automatic Form 16 Part B + Form 12 BA for F.Y.2015-16]

Following documents need to be submitted to claim tax benefit on HRA:
§                    Rent receipt for starting and the end month and of intermediate month in case there has been change in rent or rented accommodation. So you need to submit rent receipt for April and Dec/Jan if there is no rent change.
§                    The rent receipt must have One rupee revenue stamp on it (ideally a revenue stamp is required for receipts if the rent is paid by cash and is over Rs.5,000 but most employers still ask for it).
§                    No rent receipt is required if the monthly rent paid is below Rs.3,000
§                    Some employers may also ask for copy of rent agreement.
§                    If the annual rent paid exceeds Rs 1 lakh you also need to give PAN number of the landlord. In case your landlord does not have PAN card, a declaration needs to be submitted stating so.
Also ReadWhat can you do if your landlord does not give his PAN number?

Home Loan Interest u/s 24

§                    Copy of Provisional Interest certification from Bank/Financial Institution stating the amount of principle and interest separately.
§                    The certificate should also have the loan sanction date
§                    Copy of Possession Certificate
§                    Copy of Sale Deed (In case possession letter in not available)
§                    Copy of Lease deed, in case of let out property
§                    In case of Joint Home Loan, self-declaration of the ownership proportion needs to be furnished
§                    Form 12C

Medical Insurance Premium u/s 80D

§                    Copy of Insurance Premium receipt paid
§                    Copy of receipt for Preventive Health Checkup for self, spouse, dependent children or parents

Interest on Repayment of Education Loan u/s 80E

§                    Copy of Provisional Interest certification from Bank/Financial Institution showing the interest and principle separately.

Rajiv Gandhi Equity Saving Scheme (RGESS) u/s 80CCG

§                    Demat Account Statement
§                    Self declaration stating RGESS enabled investments

Handicapped dependent u/s 80DD

§                    Amount paid or deposited under any scheme framed in this behalf by the LIC or UTI or any other insurer and approved by the Board for the maintenance of the handicapped dependent
§                    Physical disability certificate from a physician, a surgeon, or a psychiatrist, as the case may be, working in a Govt. hospital. The certificate should contain the employee’s name and percentage of Disability clearly.
§                    Form 10-IA.

Medical Treatment Expenses u/s 80DDB

§                    Medical Bills / expenditure incurred by way of medical treatment for a specified disease along with a certificate from a hospital in the prescribed form.
§                    Form 10-I

National Pension Scheme u/s 80CCD(1B)

§                    Photo copy of deposit receipt or account statement

Section 80C Deductions:

Investment Type
Documents as Investment Proof
Life Insurance Premium
Copy of Premium Receipt. Late payment fees will not be included as premium paid
For the premium falling due after submission deadline, attach previous year’s receipt with declaration (Download: Declaration for Insurance Premium Payment)
Public Provident Fund (PPF)
Copy of passbook/statement along with the cover page showing investor’s name OR
Copy of the deposit challan duly acknowledged by the Bank
Senior Citizens’ Savings Scheme
Copy of passbook/statement along with the cover page showing investor’s name OR
Copy of the deposit challan duly acknowledged by the Bank
Copy of the Certificates purchased during the financial year
For accrued Interest on NSC – Copy of Certificates to be enclosed with date of purchase and the amount
ELSS (Tax Saving Mutual Fund)
Copy of Account Statement
Children’s Tuition Fees
Copy of receipts for Tuition Fees and Exam Fees (excluding Donations & Development fees, Bus / Transportation charges, Text Books, Private Tuitions or Tutorial Fees) paid to any University/College/School or Other Educational Institution in India during the current year for a maximum of 2 children.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Copy of passbook/statement along with the cover page showing investor’s name OR
Copy of the deposit challan duly acknowledged by the Bank
Pension Plan from Insurance Companies
Copy of Premium receipt
For premium falling due after Jan ’16. Please attach previous year’s receipt with declaration (Download: Declaration for Insurance Premium Payment)
Post Office Tax Saving Term Deposit
Copy of deposit receipt
Tax Saving Bank Fixed Deposits
Copy of Deposit Receipt OR Account Statement

Previous Employment Details

In case you were employed with another employer in the financial year you need to give following documents:
§                    Form 12B with copy of Form 16 for F.Y 2015-16/ Latest / Full and Final Tax computation statement submitted by you).
§                    Copy of Form 16 for F.Y. 2015-16 / Latest / Full and Final Tax computation statement certifying Earnings and Deductions from your previous employer is mandatory.

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!